Looking to Volunteer?
Melissa Public Library will take volunteers for:
- Any kind soul that just wants to help the community by service to the library
- Any religious affiliated groups
- Court mandated (non-felony) community service
- National Honors Society
- National Junior Honors Society
Melissa Public Library will provide recommendation letters on the conditions of the completion of hours and if the Staff or the Director are told about the recommendation letter in advance.
A volunteer is allowed to work in 2-hour blocks unless otherwise discussed and decided with the Director. The library does not require more than 2 volunteers per day. A schedule is available inside the library that allows volunteers to sign up for their times to work. Volunteers that do not show up for the times they scheduled without calling in will be removed from the volunteer list. We do have a waiting list for volunteers.
Volunteers ages 18 and older will need to complete and submit a background check.
Volunteers must set up a time via email with the Director for orientation. This orientation does not guarantee that all service hours will be accomplished at the library. Please send an email for setting up an orientation or for more information.
Volunteer jobs may include:
- Cleaning toys in the children's area
- Counting people at events
- Preparing crafts for our storytimes
- Set up and take down for events
- Shelving books, movies, audiobooks
- Taking photos at events, and more
If you would like to work on any of these jobs in particular, please let the Director know and ask to whom you should speak with about making it a regular part of your service hours.