Summer Reading Program
2022 Ocean of Possibilities!
Every bit a child reads makes a difference in their reading skills for the summer and keeps them prepared for returning to school.
Summer Library Program facts
Created by Shawn Brommer, South Central Library System, 10/06
Research available at:
This summer, we explored our Oceans of Possibilities adventures in reading! We hoped everyone had as much fun as we did!
- 705 patrons of all ages took on our reading challenges! A NEW RECORD OF PARTICIPANTS!
- Participants included 607 kids and 98 adults!
- 25.7% of kids finished their 800-minute reading challenge and 22.5% of adults finished their 6 book challenge!
- Kids read a total of 376,946 minutes! That is equal to 6,282 hours or 261 solid days! It's also almost 60,000 more minutes than last year! A NEW RECORD!
- Ages 0-4 Minutes of Top Prize Readers : 2,985 minutes to 3,630 minutes
- Ages 5-9 Minutes of Top Prize Readers : 6,440 minutes to 7,820 minutes
- Ages 10-13 Minutes of Top Prize Readers : 11,070 minutes to 19,152 minutes
- Ages 14-17 Minutes of Top Prize Reader : 7,510 minutes to 16,460 minutes
- Adults read a total of 333 books!
- Number of Books of Top Prize Readers : 24 books to 49 books
- The Melissa Public Library provided 47 programs over the summer!
- 560 patrons of all ages took on our reading challenges!
- Participants included 447 kids and 113 adults!
- 31.5% of kids finished their 800-minute reading challenge and 17.7% of adults finished their 8 book challenge!
- Kids read a total of 317,484 minutes!
- Adults read a total of 272 books!
- The Melissa Public Library provided 45 in-library programs and 38 virtual programs on our Facebook page!
2020 Summer Reading Program - Fairy Tales!
- 165 patrons of all ages came together and read 128,322 minutes!
- Participants included 33 adults, 7 young adults (15-18 years old), 42 teens (11-14 years old), 67 children (5-10 years old), and 18 infants (0-4 years old with the help of some adults).
- Total of 145 books read
- Though we had to do some things differently and virtually this year, the Melissa Public Library appreciates everyone's participation!
2019 Summer Reading Program
- 423 children signed up to participate; 96 reached their goal of 800 minutes!
- 202,593 minutes (3,376.55 hours) were read in total.
- The highest readers read between 5,340 minutes and 13,120 minutes.