- Human Resources
- Melissa Police Department Qualifications
Melissa Police Department Qualifications
Department Hiring Philosophy
The Melissa Police Department strives to obtain the best law-enforcement officers possible to help achieve the department's policing goals. The department practices a regimented, rigorous, selection procedure while simultaneously affording equal opportunity to everyone regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
The department does not discriminate against people with disabilities and affords the same access to employment to all persons. All personnel who participate in screening and hiring applicants shall be guided by fairness, equal opportunity, and consistency in applying procedures set forth in the Hiring and Selection Policies of the Department. To that end, the department has established minimum qualifications for our police careers which are detailed.
Minimum Qualifications for Police Career
The Melissa Police Department requires a Personal History Statement (PDF) that must be completed as part of the application process. The minimum qualifications that all applicants for the position of Police Officer must meet include the following:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or posses a GED Certificate.
- Must hold a current Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Certification.
- Must have a valid Texas driver's license and have a good driving record.
- Must be able to read and write the English language.
- Ability to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Ability to pass an oral interview board.
- Pass a physical examination, psychological screening, and drug test.
- Be of good moral character.
The following are absolute Disqualifiers for a career as a sworn officer.
- Conviction or admission of any felony, or a conviction of a Class A misdemeanor.
- Conviction of any Class B misdemeanor in the past ten years.
- Conviction of family violence offense.
- Dishonorable discharge from the military.
Drug Use Disqualifiers
- Conviction or admission of any illegal drug use within the past ten years.
- Conviction or admission of use of marijuana within the past five years.
- Admission of abuse of legally obtained prescription medication within the past ten years.
Any questions regarding these requirements or the hiring process should be directed to the Melissa Police Department at 972-838-2033.