Melissa’s Utility Billing Department is seeking to confirm it has accurate and complete contact information for each of its account holders to ensure department personnel can maintain an active communication link, sharing critical billing information, and providing reminders of payment schedules.
The City is utilizing a courtesy notification system to alert customers when payments are past due or may be pending disconnection. The automated system is called Tyler Notify and will place a call to the household’s phone number with a message alerting the customer that action must be taken.
However, the system only works when the Melissa Utility Billing Department has the most current phone number of each customer. Officials strongly suggest that every household send that information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-838-2035. It is also critical that customers provide a valid email address to Utility Billing. Doing so provides yet another way for Utility Billing to communicate with customers when necessary.
After returning to business as usual in June, officials emphasize that, like the vast majority of the almost 5,000 customers, every account will be expected to make timely payments for the service. Penalties, late fees, and ultimately, disconnections will be imposed unless arrangements are made in advance.
Officials also remind customers that reconnections to the water service can only be accomplished by the City’s Water Department. A disturbing number of customers violated the City’s Utility Code by reconnecting to the distribution system on their own. This not only exposes the offending home to citations that can carry a fine of up to $2,000, but any unpaid water use is a theft that is borne by the customers who are maintaining their accounts current. Citations for this offense will be actively imposed.
Customers have several ways of making payments for their utility bills. These include:
- Online through www.municipalonlinepayments.com/melissatx.
- Writing a check payable to the City of Melissa and deposit it in the drop-box in front of City Hall.
- Mailing a check made payable to the City of Melissa to: City of Melissa, Bank Lock Box Dept #531, PO Box 3689, Sugar Land, TX 77487.
- Using the bill pay feature from their bank or credit union accounts, if available. This option requires users to update their bank or credit union with their new Utility Billing Account Number as well as ensuring that payment is sent to the bank lock box in Sugar Land.
- Credit or debit card payments via the interactive voice response system at 866-261-7377.
- In-person payment by cash, check, debit, or credit card at the Utility Billing Office at City Hall during available office hours.
- ACH/Auto Draft which can be set up with a voided check emailed, mailed, or dropped off at City Hall.
Payment plans for account holders who can demonstrate a necessity are available and can be approved after consultation with Utility Billing staff.