The 2019 event will be held Saturday, June 22nd - stay tuned for more details soon!
Interested in sponsoring or participating as a vendor this year? Please visit the Melissa Area Chamber of Commerce website and/or contact Bill Jones at 903-227-4538 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding Sponsorship or Vendor Registration.
Biggest Event in Melissa!
The City of Melissa and Melissa Area Chamber of Commerce partner together annually to bring this the biggest event to the Melissa community. The Celebration of Freedom is held annually - typically the fourth Saturday in June (allows you to enjoy all the bigger events on the 4th of July!) and brings together the Melissa Community with fun for the whole family. The event is held annually at Zadow Park, and offers an evening of FUN, FOOD, FELLOWSHIP, MUSIC and FIREWORKS!
Some highlights of past events include:
- KIDS ZONE children's play area made up of bounce houses of all kinds!
- LIVE MUSIC presented by the City of Melissa! Acts such as Matt Nix Band, Malee Thomas Band, Texas Flood, and Blue Moon Band!
- FOOD VENDORS from all over the area including local favorites such as Kona Ice, Everything Ice Cream, and Arete Gourmet Sliders, home of the 2017 Texas Food Truck Championship Award for Best BBQ sliders!
- Finally...one of the BEST FIREWORKS shows in the region!
Check out videos from the 2018 Melissa Celebration of Freedom event!
Photos from other year's events can be viewed on flickr
When is the Celebration of Freedom held?
The Celebration of Freedom is held annually - typically the fourth Saturday in June (allows you to enjoy all the bigger events on the 4th of July!) and brings together the Melissa Community with fun for the whole family.
Festivities typically begin at 5:30 p.m. and end with fireworks concluding around 10:00 p.m.
Where is the event held?
The annual event is held at Zadow Park located at 3001 McKinney Street (Highway 5)
Is there a cost to attend this event?
Admission to the event is FREE for everyone and this includes live music entertainment and fireworks show!
There are a number of food and merchandise vendors that will have items for sale. Additionally some attractions including the Kids Zone play area does have a separate entry and fee.
Always be sure to check the promotion for the current year to be sure.
Where is the parking for the event?
Generally you may park anywhere around Zadow park, Cardinal Stadium, and schools that is not marked as "No Parking"
- There will also be signed parking in fields next to the event site near the Scott-Barker House (off Harrison Street) if you feel comfortable using those.
- **NO PARKING ON MCKINNEY STREET (SH 5) AND/OR HARRISON STREET VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED**
- Additionally please be respectful and take care not to block any driveways in the neighborhood.
- Remember the event at Zadow Park starts at 5:30 p.m. and parking does fill up quickly so plan to get there early!
Are pets allowed at the event?
Pets are welcome to attend however they must be leashed or held in your hands in accordance with City of Melissa Code of Ordinances.
Please keep in mind that many pets are frightened by loud noises such as fireworks, so it is recommended they are not there for that portion of the event.
Also please make sure to "doo" the right thing and cleanup after your pet should you bring them along.
Are we allowed to bring in outside food or drinks?
You are welcome to bring your own food with you to the event and coolers with non-alcoholic drinks are permitted. Alcoholic Beverages are not permitted in the event area, law enforcement will enforce this at the evening's festivities.
Please note that there will be a variety of food vendors onsite for an additional cost as well.
Are golf carts permitted at the event?
Golf Carts and other motorized vehicles are NOT permitted in the event area outside of marked official event staff vehicles.