Community Room Use Policy
Community Room Use Application
- Applications may now be attached to the inquiry form below, submitted via email following confirmation of room availability, or in person at the Administration Suite on the 2nd Floor of Melissa City Hall.
- Applicants must pay the associated deposit and/or security fee (if applicable) by check payable to the City of Melissa, in order to secure a reservation of the room.
To inquire regarding the availability of the Community Room, please complete the form below. Please allow please allow 48 hours to respond to your inquiry. *Note: If your request is for less than two weeks from today, please call Amanda Ryan at (972) 838-1382.*
Below is a general overview of Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Community Room Use Policy and Application Process.
Who can use the Community Room?
After the City schedules its programs, other educational or cultural community or philanthropic organizations that are non-profit, non-partisan, and non-disruptive to other City Hall patrons, may apply to use the Community Room. The City limits standing reservations and will not host regular meetings to give all groups equal access.
The Mayor or City Manager shall determine which community organizations may use the Community room and shall have final authority regarding use of the Community Room and/or cancellation or discontinuance of Community Room reservations.
What hours is the Community Room available?
The facility is available during City Hall service hours and must be cleaned and vacated prior to 10:00 p.m. on the night of the meeting.
For meetings during working hours, meetings must conclude at least fifteen minutes prior to the closing of City Hall.
Does the Community Room cost to use?
A refundable $75.00 deposit will be required at the time of the reservation and refunded if the room is left clean and in original condition.
For any after hour use, an off duty Melissa Police Officer must serve as security and the applicant is responsible for paying the costs of security at a rate of $35.00 per hour. Any reservation is tentative until security availability is confirmed.
What is the maximum occupancy for the Community Room?
The posted maximum occupancy per the Fire Marshal is 34 people.
What is the application process?
All individuals/organizations will be required to fill out an application.
All individuals/organizations will be allowed to use the Community Room no more than one (1) time each month.
Applicants may reapply for use of the room upon successful completion of the last reserved meeting.
Applications for room use will be accepted up to 30 days prior to the date the room is needed. Any request for use less than this amount of time will require special approval and will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Applications may be submitted as follows:
- Attached to the inquiry form above or if you prefer, you may email your application following confirmation of availability.
- In person at Melissa City Hall, Administration Suite on the 2nd Floor to Amanda Ryan
Applicants must pay the associated deposit and/or security fee (if applicable) by check payable to the City of Melissa in order to secure a reservation.
What are the general guidelines for use of the Community Room?
- Groups using the Community Room shall be responsible for setting up chairs, tables, and other equipment before the meeting, maintaining order during the meeting, taking down whatever they put up after the meeting, and seeing that the facility is neat and clean at the conclusion of the program. Groups are fully responsible for the cost of any and all damages based upon actual repair or replacement costs.
- Organizations may not charge admission, accept donations, nor take collections.
- Organizations may not sell, offer, nor in any way advertise merchandise or service.
- Organizations must open their programs to the public without exclusion.
- Young people’s groups must provide adequate supervision by adults.
- The City reserves the right to revoke a reservation if the program or gathering is disruptive to the City’s normal course of business.
- Individuals/Organizations are required to keep noise to a minimum that does not disturb other City Hall patrons.
- Groups are responsible for providing their own equipment, other than chairs and tables.
- Groups are responsible for enforcing the City’s smoking ordinance, which does not permit smoking in any area of the City Hall and Plaza Area.
- Groups must provide adequate protection for their program materials, exhibits, etc.
- Organizations will hold harmless the City of Melissa of any damage suffered because of or resulting from use of the facility.
- No reservation shall be legally binding. The Mayor or City Manager may cancel any room reservation or display at any time, with or without cause.
- Permission to meet in the City Hall does not constitute endorsement by the City of Melissa or the Melissa City Council of any aspect of a meeting or display
Are food and/or drinks allowed in the Community Room?
Organizations may serve light refreshments, but no alcoholic beverages. If they use a pantry facility, they are responsible for cleaning it thoroughly.