Summer Reading Program 2018 Brochure
We have even more fun and activities to offer this year! Be sure to check out the full brochure linked above to learn more about each of the following:
- Movie Mondays - weekly at 10:30 a.m. in the Library
- Terrific Tuesdays - special activities for all ages held weekly at 10:30 a.m. at Melissa City Hall (check for specific location)
- Family Coloring Days - self-directed and held weekly on Wednesdays in the Library - relaxation for all ages
- Teen Thursdays - special programming weekly for ages 10 and up (in place of Teen Activities Group which will resume in September)
- Funky Fridays - fun activities for all ages weekly at 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Most Fridays kids choose between 'Conductors' and 'Maestros' then we'll all come together for a craft.
- Conductors: Activities led by our Children’s Librarian, Ms Leslie and targeted to approximately ages 7 and under.
- Maestros: Activities led by our Tween Librarian, Ms. Jennifer and targeted to approximately ages 8 and over.
- Special Summer Saturdays - Variety of fun events hosted by the Library this summer
- June 4 - Registration opens and you can begin recording minutes read or read to on the reading logs.
- Saturday, June 9 - Opening ceremony at Melissa City Hall from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fun and festivities include:
- DJ Barnes, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- In-N-Out Truck from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Join the Friends of Melissa Public Library and get 2 Burgers!
- Carter Blood Mobile on-site from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Dance Instructor will lead us in learning fun dances!
- Ice cream truck on-site!
- August 10 - Reading logs due to the Library in order to be included in the closing ceremony and receive your reward.
- August 18 - Closing ceremony and awards for top readers presented at Melissa City Hall - stay tuned for more details to come!
- The Exotic Animal Petting Zoo will be back from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Food Trucks – let us know if you want to bring yours!!
- FOMPL photo contest announcements at 10:30 a.m.
- Fun Music Performances!
- Top Readers to be awarded at 11:40 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Registration is open for all ages at the library from June 4 to August 6. Reading logs will be handed out upon registration to record the titles of books being read this summer (record your minutes no earlier than June 4).
Your reading challenge: Read or be read to for total of 800 minutes or more to be eligible to complete the reading program. Multiple pages need to be stapled together. The library will give your reading logs to your school. Each time you reach 100 minutes, you can drop by the library and pick out a prize from the treasure box (only one visit per week).
Summer reading program encourages children to keep reading during summer vacation and offers variety of benefits such as:
- Motivates children to read.
- Helps develop positive attitudes about reading, books and using the library.
- Maintains reading skills over the summer vacation.
- Provides access to experiences that further discovery.
- Allows for cooperative play and learning.
- Points children to careers and opportunities in the future.