Over 420 amazing kids signed up to challenge the 800-minute goal and over 130 made it!! Our tops readers totaled out 136,928 minutes (that’s 2,282 hours or 95 days of reading!) and the top two readers hit 29,280 and 15,890 (Way to go, Breanainn and Alannah!) Every bit a child reads made a difference in their reading skills for the summer and kept them ready for returning to school. The 2018 Summer Reading Program at YOUR Melissa Public Library was the best!
- If you still have your reading log sheets AND MADE THE 800 MINUTE GOAL, bring it in for a celebration bag and a certificate. We will continue until our bags are gone or September 15!
- We DO provide the Melissa Schools with the completed logs.
- Thank you so much for contributing to the trinkets and treasures boxes for reading rewards. Keep saving those special items and bring them anytime for next year.
The Summer Reading Closing ceremony was a symphony of awesome events!
The Monkey See Monkey Do Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, The Reptile Encounter, State Farm Insurance, Bacon Brothers Burgers and BBQ, The Twin Tacos, Twin Stacks BBQ, Making Faces and Twists facepainting, Young Living by Samantha Bourne, Melissa Education Foundation, Dustin Clark’s caricatures, Bigbees’ Bounce-A-Lot, Costco, Cross My Heart & Hope for Pie, Usborne Books, Trinity Sisters, Jank’s Artisan Soaps, Paradise Dental, and more made for a totally fun time. We loved hearing Clayton Farhat, he is a winner for our American Idol vote!
The 2019 theme for summer reading is ‘A Universe of Stories’ and will center on Space. We will recognize the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing!
- Do you have anything special to share in the display case?
- Do you know anyone with a great story to tell about that day? Let the librarian know!
Summer reading program encourages children to keep reading during summer vacation and offers variety of benefits such as:
- Motivates children to read.
- Helps develop positive attitudes about reading, books and using the library.
- Maintains reading skills over the summer vacation.
- Provides access to experiences that further discovery.
- Allows for cooperative play and learning.
- Points children to careers and opportunities in the future.