Let’s get to exploring!
Every bit a child reads makes a difference in their reading skills for the summer and keeps them ready for returning to school. We expect 2019 Summer Reading Program at YOUR Melissa Public Library to be the best yet!
- Our Summer Reading Kickoff is June 8th from 11 am - 3 pm.
- In-N-Out will be here with food from 11:30 am - 1: 30 pm
- Multiple Vendors to visit
- Register for the Reading Competition and pick up your Reading Logs
- Animals in Space presentation from 2 pm - 3 pm
- Minutes can begin on June 10th and end August 12th
- The goal is to read 800 minutes over the summer!
- Summer Reading Closing Ceremony will be August 17th. More information to come!
- Feel free to donate to the trinkets and treasures boxes for reading rewards. These are little rewards readers can pick up for every 100 minutes read!
If you are business and would like to donate to the 800-Minute Reading bags or have a booth at the Kickoff or Closing Ceremony, please email Jennifer Nehls.
Summer reading program encourages children to keep reading during summer vacation and offers a variety of benefits such as:
- Motivates children to read.
- Helps develop positive attitudes about reading, books and using the library.
- Maintains reading skills over the summer vacation.
- Provides access to experiences that further discovery.
- Allows for cooperative play and learning.
- Points children to careers and opportunities in the future.