Pennsylvania Drive Open; Santa Fe Railroad Crossing Permanently Closed (October 2016)
We are excited to announce that Pennsylvania Avenue from Washington Drive to SH 5 is now open. Please be aware that the expedited opening is to alleviate the local traffic in and around the Liberty subdivision and Harry McKillop Elementary. Note that Melissa ISD has posted an updated Carpool Map and Procedures for Harry McKillop beginning next week.
There is more work being done and please be patient as the work is completed. As such, please be aware of the following:
Santa Fe Railroad Crossing Now Closed - UPDATE 9/30/16
- Temporary signage is posted along the roadway. Please pay attention to all signage
- The permanent railroad crossing warning system should begin installation next week. Until then, please proceed with caution as you cross the railroad tracks on Pennsylvania.
- There will be associated striping along Pennsylvania in the coming weeks
- The posted speed limit is 30 mph.
- Eastbound and Westbound traffic along Pennsylvania is required to stop at Washington Drive.
- Northbound traffic along Washington Drive are now required to stop at Pennsylvania.
- There are temporary markers for the school zone. Please be aware that the prohibition against cell phones in the school zone is also posted
- No parking is in effect along the entire length of Pennsylvania. Participants in evening activities and practices at HME can park in the HME parking lots. Again, no parking on Pennsylvania.
- Effective immediately, Liberty Way will now stop in both directions at Pennsylvania.
As a reminder with the opening of the Pennsylvania crossing, the Santa Fe railroad crossing has been permanently closed as of September 30, 2016.
Travelers through Liberty will still have the option to access Santa Fe from Patriot/Graves Street, but that route’s railroad crossing will be at Cooper Street adjacent to the Melissa ISD administration building. The more direct connection to SH 5 will be via Pennsylvania connection.