Summer Reading Program 2016
Over 450 kids signed up to ‘Get Ready, Set, READ!’ with the Melissa Library Summer Reading Program. The challenge ended August 13 and our super star readers were honored at an End of Summer Recognition Event on August 27 - Check out the photos on our Flickr Page!
Summer reading programs encourage children to keep reading during summer vacation. Preventing the ‘summer slide’ continues to be a main concern for children and your Melissa Public Library provides free educational and cultural activities and programs to all Texas citizens, especially to our communities of Anna and Melissa.
The benefits of summer reading programming for children:
- Motivates children to read.
- Helps develop positive attitudes about reading, books and using the library.
- Maintains reading skills over the summer vacation.
- Provides access to experiences that further discovery.
- Allows for cooperative play and learning.
- Points children to careers and opportunities in the future.
To accomplish this, the Melissa Public Library, the Friends of the Melissa Public Library and generous community and business friends helped sponsor the following summer events:
- Motivational speaker and Olympian Johnny Quinn showed the pathway to success with examples from his life and his continued aspirations.
- Activity and exercise sessions, field day and Olympic Day got kids up and moving.
- Entertainment meet-ups centered around anime’, legos, and more!
- Bike Safety Day and Nutrition Morning made a difference in our health and safety.
- Participating in the Melissa Celebration of Freedom parade!
- Super Fun Movies for families and teens were enjoyed over the summer.
- Ms. Kaitlin used a Dollar General Grant and created Camp Rise-N-Read to focus two students individually on their reading strengths and to help them move forward with specific plans to keep on reading.
- Fun visits from the mini-horses and seeing a dairy cow being milked were amazing to kids.
- Mr. Will, an amazing reader and singer kept the enthusiasm bouncing!!
- Sponsored by the Tocker Foundation, the TAME Traiblazer Truck from Texas A&M was an interactive science, math, technology and engineering museum-on-wheels and over 200 kids came and learned lots!
- The Perot Museum provided the Nature and Science activities in their TECH truck.
All of these great events and experiences were FREE to the children and families in our community, and that would not be possible without the following groups, businesses and individuals who have contributed to the success of the reading program and to the motivation of our readers. Sincere thanks to each and every one!
McAlister’s Deli of McKinney
A.T.S Electrical Service
City of Melissa
Friends of the Melissa Public Library
Melissa Police Department
Sonic of Melissa
Dairy Queen of McKinney
Chick-Fil-A of McKinney
Grayson-Collin Co. Electric Co-Op
Melissa Ridge Intermediate School
Melissa Ridge Middle School
Spurlock’s Malt Shop of Anna
Melissa United Methodist Church
RaceTrac of Melissa
Insurance Protection Group
Physical Therapy of Melissa
MiniEncounters of Melissa
The LaCore Family
Dickey’s Barbecue Pit of Anna
Haight Family Dentistry
The Tocker Foundation
The Perot Museum
And several anonymous Community Members
And thanks to the parents, who encouraged and recorded in the reading logs. And love, respect and special recognition to the children and youth of Anna and Melissa for reading and trying so hard. You are the BEST!
Keep your eyes peeled for next year's Summer Reading Program information sometime around May 2017!